WASHINGTON, DC—August 17, 2020—Nineteen Oncology Nursing Society (ONS) members were included among the highly distinguished nurse leaders who will join the ranks of the American Academy of Nursing’s (AAN’s) class of 2020 fellows at the academy’s annual conference, taking place virtually October 29–31, 2020.
“The fact that so many ONS members were selected for AAN’s 2020 class is a testament to the range of leadership and expertise our Society represents,” ONS Chief Executive Officer Brenda Nevidjon, MSN, RN, FAAN, said. “We are proud of our members’ accomplishments and celebrate their achievement along with them.”
The academy represents more than 2,700 nursing leaders who are experts in policy, research, administration, practice, and academia and champion health and wellness, locally and globally. As health leaders, they enhance the quality of health and nursing, promote healthy aging and human development, and reduce health disparities and inequalities, among many other efforts to improve health care around the world.
The 19 ONS members in the class of 2020 AAN fellows represent oncology nurses from the United States and Hong Kong, including 13 different states and encompassing a variety of oncology specialties:
- Mary Affronti, DNP, RN, MHSc, ANP – Duke University
- Kelly Brassil, PhD, RN – Pack Health
- Toby Bressler, PhD, MPA, RN, OCN® – Mount Sinai Health System
- Ashley Bryant, PhD, RN-BC, OCN® – University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Billy Caceres, PhD, RN – Columbia University
- Melissa Craft, PhD, APRN-CNS, AOCN® – University of Oklahoma
- Joyce Dains, DrPH, JD, APRN, FNP-BC, FNAP, FAANP – MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Marianne Davies, DNP, RN, CNS, ACNP, AOCNP® – Yale University
- Cindy Dawson, MSN, RN, CORLN – University of Iowa
- Laura Fennimore, DNP, RN, NEA-BC – University of Pittsburgh
- Erin Hartnett, DNP, PPCNP-BC, CPNP – New York University
- Belinda Mandrell, PhD – St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
- Susan Mazanec, PhD, RN, AOCN® – Case Western Reserve University
- Joyce Neumann, PhD, APRN, AOCN®, BMTCN® – University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Melinda Oberleitner, DNS, RN – University of Louisiana
- Winnie KW So, PhD, RN – Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Janet Van Cleave, PhD – New York University
- Rachel Walker, PhD, RN – University of Massachusetts Amherst
- AnnMarie Walton, PhD, MPH, RN, OCN®, CHES – Duke University
To be considered, at least two current academy fellows are required to sponsor the applicants, and selection is made by committee. In part, the committee examines the candidates’ impact on health care, health policy, and overall well-being of all members of society.
ONS is a professional association that represents 100,000 nurses and is the professional home to more than 35,000 members. ONS is committed to promoting excellence in oncology nursing and the transformation of cancer care. Since 1975, ONS has provided a professional community for oncology nurses, developed evidence-based education programs and treatment information, and advocated for patient care, all in an effort to improve quality of life and outcomes for patients with cancer and their families. Learn more at www.ons.org.