Pittsburgh, PA, April 27, 2023—Oncology nurses, employers, and researchers are transforming cancer care every day. Today, the Oncology Nursing Society (ONS) recognized 14 of those individuals with its 2023 ONS Awards during the 48th Annual ONS Congress® in San Antonio, TX.
“It takes a village to ensure quality care and best outcomes for patients with cancer and their families, and oncology nurses continuously pursue excellence in evidence-based clinical practice, education, leadership, and research,” ONS President Jeannine M. Brant, PhD, APRN-CNS, AOCN®, FAAN, said. “It is a privilege to recognize this year’s award recipients who go above and beyond each day and who are outstanding in our field. Congratulations to all the awardees and thank you for your hard work and dedication to oncology nursing.”
The 2023 ONS Awards recipients are:
ONS Distinguished Awards honor career achievements and outstanding contributions to oncology care.
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Deborah Boyle, MSN, RN, AOCNS®-Emeritus, FAAN
- Distinguished Researcher Award: Eun-Ok Im, PhD, MPH, RN, CNS, FAAN
- Award for Consistent Contribution to Nursing Literature: Suzanne M. Mahon, RN, AOCN®, AGN-BC, FAAN
- President’s Award: Heather Ferguson, Founder and Executive Director, Lymphedema Advocacy Group
ONS Excellence Awards recognize oncology nursing achievements in five core specialties.
- Excellence in Clinical Practice Award: Kerry King, MSN, RN, AGPCNP, OCN®
- Excellence in Advanced Clinical Practice: Ruth VanGerpen, MS, RN, APRN-CNS, AOCNS®, PMGT-BC
- Excellence in Cancer Nursing Management Award: Erin Longstreth-Papsun, MSN, RN, OCN®
- Excellence in Cancer Nursing Education Award: Jill Hamilton, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Excellence in Oncology Nursing Health Policy and Advocacy Award: Milagros Elia, MA, APRN, ANP-BC
Pearl Moore “Making a Difference” Awards, named after ONS’s first chief executive officer, acknowledge oncology nurses who go above and beyond to engage with patients and their families.
- Frontline Care Award: Bibi Mohamed, MSN, RN, OCN®
- Emerging Leader Award: Heather Jackson, PhD, FNP-BC, NEA-BC, FAANP
- Team Achievement Award: Firefighter Cancer Initiative Team, Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center University of Miami
- Outstanding Employer Award: Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA
ONS Research Award (supported by the Oncology Nursing Foundation Distinguished Nurse Researchers Fund) recognizes new investigators who received their doctoral degrees within a year of nomination.
- Victoria Mock New Investigator Award: Rachel Pozzar, PhD, RN, FNP-BC
ONS is a professional association that represents 100,000 nurses and is the professional home to more than 35,000 members. ONS is committed to promoting excellence in oncology nursing and the transformation of cancer care. Since 1975, ONS has provided a professional community for oncology nurses, developed evidence-based education programs and treatment information, and advocated for patient care, all in an effort to improve quality of life and outcomes for patients with cancer and their families. Learn more at ons.org.