PITTSBURGH, PA—April 23, 2021—Oncology nurses make diverse contributions to cancer care from direct care of patients to building the evidence for practice, educating the next generation of oncology nurses, and advocating for quality care. The past year has amplified the dedication that oncology nurses have to their profession. Each year, the Oncology Nursing Society (ONS) recognizes the recipients, from the previous year, at ONS Congress.
“ONS is challenged every year to recognize exemplary nurses among all of those nominated from our 35,000 members who are dedicated to excellence in cancer care,” ONS President Nancy Houlihan, MA, RN, AOCN®, said. “They lead, teach, conduct research, and deliver evidence-based care to secure the best outcomes for patients. Congratulations to all of this year’s winners and to all of those who give their best as oncology nurses every day.”
Distinguished Awards honor career achievements and outstanding contributions to oncology care. Excellence Awards recognize oncology nursing achievements in five core specialties. Pearl Moore “Making a Difference” Awards, named after ONS’s first chief executive officer, acknowledge oncology nurses who go above and beyond to engage with patients and their families. The ONS Distinguished Nurse Researcher fund within the Oncology Nursing Foundation supports the ONS Research Award, which recognizes new investigators who received their doctoral degrees within a year of nomination and contribute to building a scientific foundation for oncology nursing practice.
The recipients for 2020 are:
ONS Distinguished Awards
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Betty Ferrell, PhD, MA, CHPN, FAAN, FPCN
- Researcher Award: Christopher Friese, PhD, RN, AOCN®, FAAN
- Award for Consistent Contribution to Nursing Literature: Seth Eisenberg, ADN, RN, OCN®, BMTCN®
ONS Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Clinical Practice Award: Jennifer Fox, RN, MSN, OCN®
- Excellence in Advanced Clinical Practice: Tina Mason, MSN, APRN, AOCN®, AOCNS®, FCNS
- Excellence in Cancer Nursing Management Award: Alicia Coffin, MSN, RN, OCN®, NE-BC
- Excellence in Cancer Nursing Education Award: Janice Reid, MA, RN, NPD-BC, OCN®
Pearl Moore “Making a Difference” Awards
- Frontline Care Award: Laiken Matlock, BSN, RN II
- Emerging Leader Award: Eleni Kalandranis, MSN, RN, OCN®, CMSRN
- Team Achievement Award: David H. Koch Cancer Center’s Swab Team
ONS Research Award
- Victoria Mock New Investigator Award: Jinbing Bai, RN, MSN, PhD, FAAN
ONS is a professional association that represents 100,000 nurses and is the professional home to more than 35,000 members. ONS is committed to promoting excellence in oncology nursing and the transformation of cancer care. Since 1975, ONS has provided a professional community for oncology nurses, developed evidence-based education programs and treatment information, and advocated for patient care, all in an effort to improve quality of life and outcomes for patients with cancer and their families. Learn more at www.ons.org.