Commission on Cancer to Revise Standards for Cancer Program Accreditation
The Commission on Cancer (CoC), an organizational consortium of which ONS is a governing member, provides standards for cancer programs to follow to achieve a high level of continuous quality improvement. Last updated in 2016, the standards are currently undergoing analysis and revision, and CoC is seeking public comments until June 3, 2019.
According to CoC (https://www.facs.org/cocstandardsfeedback), its goals for the 2019 revision are to:
- Identify new standards that would provide a direct benefit to patients with cancer.
- Ensure each standard results in an improvement to patient care.
- Clarify or eliminate standards that are not achieving the intended result.
- Ensure that standards address the full spectrum of care.
- Align the organization and format of the standards with all American College of Surgeons accreditation and verification programs.
Download the draft standards (https://www.facs.org/~/media/files/quality%20programs/cancer/coc/draft_coc_revised_standards_may2019.ashx) and submit feedback (https://www.facs.org/cocstandardsfeedback) for each chapter on CoC’s website.